Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sometimes a Good Deal Can Be a Lot of Work

We bought a new coffee table (Ensign table as my friend calls it) on Saturday after I tripped over our glass top table in our living-room on Friday night, nearly shattering the glass. It was just too unstable, with an unattached glass top that tipped too easily. I worried every time Priya came down and wanted to play around it, not to mention my very cute and energetic nieces. It just was not kid safe, let alone Beth-safe. :) So we wandered around Ikea on Saturday until we found one that looked nice that we could afford. I think I pretty much love Ikea...and our new coffee table.

However, a good deal can be a lot of work, we found, when Robert started putting the table together. The table has a little slat on the bottom that rests on a peg on each table leg, so all the legs had to be screwed in with the peg facing inward. It seems like it should be simple, right? Wrong. No matter how many times Robert screwed in and unscrewed one leg, it would never line up. Then we decided to try an old trick; one that could either prove successful or disasterous and split the leg. We decided to twist really hard until the peg faced the right way. :) It was much harder to do than you might think. We tried a couple of times, then Joe came down and looked at the leg and tried to screw it in. Eventually Robert and Joe twisted the leg together and got the peg to face the right way.

Now we have a kid and Beth-friendly coffee table that I think looks pretty nice. Oh, I tried to document the occassion, so enjoy the pictures.







4 comments:

"The Landlord" said...

very cute!

BlueAdagio said...

looks nice :)

I really really really really really really really really really miss you guys.

D and S Heaton said...

When I was a young whipper-snapper the tables came already assembled. But by the time I was able to afford them (at the DI) I had to figure out a way to FIX them. Bubble gum and baling wire worked well. And when we went high tech it was super glue and duck tape!
Can you imagine the laugh those guys in Taiwan had as they were packing up your table? "I'd give anything to watch them try to put it together. Ha, ha, ha!"
Nice looking table.
~Dad H

Que Sera said...

Wow. I'm so jealous. I wish I had an awesome table like that. Especially a Rachel proof one, because clumsiness runs in our family. Me specifically. I am glad that you guys figured it out though. I took the help of an enginerd to do it. Maybe I should come visit and see it for myself...